The Faculty of Technology and Technical Sciences (FTTS)-Veles belongs to the University St. Kliment Ohridski-Bitola (UKLO). It was established in 2008 as a national academic institution that delivers two programs in:
- Food Technology and Biotechnology and
- Nutrition Science for undergraduate students.
Later in 2012 this Faculty started with II-nd cycle of graduate studies in:
- Food Quality and Safety and
- Nutrition Science.
Phd study program:
- Innovative technologies on Food and Nutrition
Duration of studies is three years.
The main goal of FTTS is to educate students that will be future project leaders in a variety of technological cases related to food and health. We believe that our students are in an excellent position to examine and provide guidance on issues of food today and into the 21st century.
The main mission of the Faculty is training the students for careers pertaining to the diverse issues of food, nutrition and health. With the quickening pace of technological changes in food supply and increasing understanding of how food affects our health, it is imperative that young people are able to examine and evaluate the complex relationships of food, food safety and nutrition issues of central importance to health policy. The vision of the Faculty is to make students as future leaders in food technology and nutrition that will be equipped to address complex interdisciplinary problems utilizing traditional as well as novel socio-economic and biological approaches.
The UKLO FTTS Faculty consists of a multidisciplinary group of professors and scientists with expertise in various aspects of nutrition, food science, biochemistry, medicine, public health, epidemiology, food toxicology and food safety. Our relatively young and enthusiastic faculty staff is highly educated and motivated for this work that is proved by continuous success in participation in national and international projects, as well as relevant published references.
The FTTS Faculty constantly follows the novel trends in Food Science, Food Technology and Biotechnology as well as in Nutrition Science. It expands its programs with the main goal to achieve the best knowledge, skills and trainings for staff members, undergraduate and graduate students living in a rapidly changing world of variety of food products and technologies.
FTTS already has established role in the region by Academic-Industry collaboration with many SME or big enterprises in the region that belong mainly in food processing, such as: Agria-Veles, Vitaminka-Prilep, Zito Vardar-Veles, Milina-Prilep, Zito Karaorman-Kicevo, Vitalia-Skopje, Bistra -Kicevo…
Educating highly qualified staff. The mission of the Faculty of Technology and Technical Sciences -Veles is to provide continuous education of highly qualified staff (engineers, masters) through high quality programs in the scientific fields of food technology, biotechnology and nutrition.
Doctoral studies and scientific research work. Achieving constant success in scientific research work, the scientific research mission of the faculty is achieved through doctoral studies and international scientific research projects.
Support for the technological development of the food industry. By creating conditions for knowledge transfer, the Faculty gives strong support to the technological development of the food industry.
Leader in nutrition. The faculty is a national leader in the field of nutrition and is constantly strengthening its reputation at the international level.
During the following years, the faculty has ambition:
- To maintain the leading position in education in our country in the field of Nutrition, and in food technology and biotechnology to be among the leaders.
- To be among the first institutions of this nature in the Balkan region.
- To bring its study programs even closer to the needs of the economy and to strengthen the cooperation with them.
- To strengthen its cooperation with renowned foreign universities in the educational activity and through joint scientific-research projects.
- Raw materials from animal and plant sources,
- Nutritive characteristics of food products,
- Novel food, functional and bioactive components,
- New and innovative technologies in food industry: milk, meat, fermented products, and biotechnology,
- Food processing by preserving an optimal nutritive characteristics,
- Quality systems in Food processing,
- Food contact materials: packaging materials (traditional vs. novel trends in packaging: active and smart packaging), process equipment,
- omposite materials, nanomaterials as functional components in food processing, nanotechnologies,
- Nutritive habits of the population and the incidence of Cardiovascular Diseases,
- Nutritive habits of the population and the incidence of Malignant Diseases,
- The effect of variety of food products on the Lipid status of its consumers,
- Dietary habits in different age groups (scholars, students, adults),
- Dietary habits in older population and their immunological status,
- Iron deficiency, Anemia,
- Obesity and the Immune system,
- Osteoporosis: food relations and issues,
- Physical, chemical, sensory and nutritional properties of food (meat, cheese, bread, fruit, vegetables etc),
- Determination of proteins, enzymes, lipids, carbohydrates in food, blood, urine,
- Fortification and biofortification of food,
- Antioxidants, vitamins and minerals,
- Healthy nutrition,
- Nutritive habits of the population and development of nutrition models of consumer behavior,
- Food safety and quality,
- Modification of enzymes for bioprocess applications,
- Enzyme-catalysed synthesis of hexyl-ß-galactoside in organic mono-phased system,
- Mathematical Modeling and Optimisation in Nutrition and food processing,
- Production of organic milk,
- Production of organic meat,
- Technology for production of functional dairy products,
- Technology for production of functional meat products,
- Quality control and good manufacturing practice. Quality evaluation of products,
- Food safety control,
- Obesity and healthy nutrition,
- Underweight, malnutrition and healthy nutrition,
- Natural sweeteners. Sugar alcohols. Health Effects. Sweetners for Health Foods,
- Fortification of food,
- Biofortification of crop,
- Application of organic fertilizers,
- Effect of adding micronutrients in conventional fertilizers,
- GIS modeling for strategic planning of the development of the urban environment,
- GIS in economics and electronic services (e-business, e-marketing, e-commerce),
- Development of models of consumer behavior when buying food products,
- Marketing of food products,
- GIS application in medicine, nutrition and food technology,
- Development of nutrition models of consumer behavior when buying food products.